Passwordless Authentication with Microsoft¶
The Nitrokey FIDO2 supports password-less authentication, where entering a password is replaced by logging in with the Nitrokey FIDO2 and a PIN.
Sample login to Microsoft with the Nitrokey FIDO2¶
- Click on “Sign in with security key”.
- Enter your PIN for the Nitrokey FIDO2.
- Touch your Nitrokey FIDO2 at the indicated spot.
- Now you are logged in!
Setting up Passwordless Authentication¶
Here we offer you a guide on how to set up passwordless authentication for your Microsoft account with the Nitrokey FIDO2.
- You need Windows 10 (update October 2018 or later) and the Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser.
- Log in to your Microsoft account and go to your “Account” page.
- Select “Security”.
- Select “More security options”
- Select “Set up a security key”.
- Confirm with “Next” under “USB device”.
- Enter a PIN that you want to use for your Nitrokey FIDO2 and then select “Next”.
- Now tap on the marked position of the Nitrokey FIDO2.
- Confirm with “Allow”.
- Name your Nitrokey FIDO2 and then select “Next”.
- Now you have successfully set up password-free authentication for your Microsoft account! Confirm with “Got it”.